From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: virtualbox-guest-additions
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 20:42:55
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 18/02/2017 00:08, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Are the virtualbox-guest-additions on portage for folks who are
5 >> running VirtualBox vms on there gentoo OS?
6 >>
7 >> Or are they for a Vbox vm where gentoo is being installed, and the
8 >> host is something else.
12 > * app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
13 > Available versions: 4.3.38 (~)4.3.40 (~)5.0.16 (~)5.0.30 5.0.32
14 > (~)5.1.12 (~)5.1.14 {X KERNEL="linux"}
15 > Homepage: http://www.virtualbox.org/
17 > for Gentoo guests
20 > So it is the latter
23 >> I ask, because I'm installing gentoo into a vm on a windows host.
24 >> I've done this quite a few times.
25 >>
26 >> And the vbox pkg that gets installed on windows always has the
27 >> guest-additions supplied internally.
28 >>
29 >> That is I've installed the virtualbox-guest-additions from the vbox
30 >> package installed on the win10 host.
31 >>
32 >> Or is it expected that for gentoo, one is to install the
33 >> guest-additions thru portage (when the host is not gentoo)
34 >
35 > Err no, that would be impossible (for all practical intent)
38 >> Jesus, that sounds complicated.
39 >>
40 >> All I'm trying to ask is if you are installing a vbox vm with gentoo
41 >> os in a non-gentoo host are you expected to install the
42 >> guest-additions thru portage.
43 >
44 > You install virtualbox-guest-additions on a Gentoo guest VM.
45 > What is running on the host is irrelevant
46
47 Still not my question... sorry for the unduly doopy forumutation.
48
49 I know guest-additions gets installed into a vbox vm once installed.
50
51 Until this go around and I've done quite a few installs of gentoo into
52 vbox vms ... but always installed the guest addtions that are already
53 present in the vbox package. Not from portage.... as my host is win-10.
54
55 That is, click the devices menu at the top of the vbox screen and
56 click `install guest addtions'. Go to /media/cdrom and install them
57 with ./NAME_addtions.run.
58
59 I never installed them from portage... and had no idea they were even
60 available on portage.
61
62 Now if you are using the portage VBox package and installing vms on a
63 gentoo host, then it makes sense to get the guest-additions on
64 portage.