From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Multiple versions of automake?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:46:45
1 On 03/10/2010 06:17 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On 03/10/2010 05:50 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I currently have 3 versions of automake installed (1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r3,
6 >> and 1.10.2).
7 >>
8 >> emerge -pvuDN world shows an update available for each one, but, my
9 >> question is, do I need all 3 versions?
10 >>
11 >> 'equery depends automake' shows 44 packages, all depending on 1.10* or
12 >> higher.
13 >>
14 >> So, can I safely emerge -C the other 2 versions? Should I (does it even
15 >> matter)?
16 >
17 > Probably won't matter. A few packages actually specify an exact version
18 > of the autotools, but most just want a certain minimum version.
19
20 Portage doesn't allow ebuilds to specify minimum versions or ranges for
21 automake, only exact versions.
22
23 Specifying a mininum only works when putting automake as a dep in
24 DEPEND. However, Gentoo devs are required to use WANT_AUTOMAKE, not
25 DEPEND and WANT_AUTOMAKE only allows specific versions, not minimum ones.
26
27 And this means multiple automake versions on the system are perfectly
28 normal.