From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS Core2Duo
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:46:11
1 On Tuesday 19 December 2006 18:56, "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS Core2Duo':
3 > Is it still the case thats its impossible to upgrade a 32bit gentoo on
4 > athlon64 to 64 bit - requires a full reinstall?
5
6 Reinstall is the only officially supported manner.
7
8 However, with a little bit of work, it *is* possible to upgrade. The 50km
9 view is:
10 1. Build cross toolchain -- portage may not make this easy
11 2. Use said toolchain to build 64-bit kernel with 32-bit support.
12 2a.If you need any out-of-tree modules before step 6, rebuild them with the
13 cross compiler -- portage *will* *not* make this easy.
14 3. Reboot into new kernel.
15 4. Change CHOST in make.conf
16 5. Update toolchain configuration/symlinks to treat what was a cross
17 toolchain as the native toolchain
18 6. Rebuild remaining out-of-tree modules.
19
20 At this point, only your kernel and modules are 64-bit, but each time your
21 update/reinstall a package it will become 64-bit. For best results, it'd
22 probably a good time to rebuild the toolchain again. (Right now, the
23 tollchain is 32-bit code that produces 64-bit code.)
24
25 There's also some sticky issues with lib vs. lib32 vs. lib64
26 directories/symlinks and your ldconfig and you may need a few runs of
27 fix_libtool_files.sh and/or revdep-rebuild as required.
28
29 It's possible, but not really fun and very fragile, which is why there's no
30 support for it. If you want to try, I'm willing to help, but I can't
31 guarantee anything, and many on the list will be unwilling to help.
34 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
35 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
36 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
37 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh