From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU: firefox hangs the window manager
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 09:43:50
1 On Sunday, 15 December 2019 21:11:30 GMT n952162@×××.de wrote:
2 > I recently reported that after rebuilding my kernel, my system doesn't power
3 > down any more. My problems are actually much more severe. When I bring up
4 > Firefox, my system grinds to a crawl, where it can take minutes to echo a
5 > few characters (if at all). That's everywhwere in the window manager, all
6 > xterm instances.
7 >
8 > VTs and ssh instances run fine. I'm thinking, the amdgpu module is causing
9 > problems when features are invoked by firefox.
10 >
11 > This in the hopes that there were improvements to AMDGPU, but it's much
12 > worse for me now.
13 >
14 > I'm running (kinda running) 4.19.72. I followed the instructions on
15 > gentoo's AMDGPU page.
16 >
17 > Are is there anybody else running AMDGPU and having more luck?
18
19 I have amdgpu-pro-opencl-19.30.838629 and xf86-video-amdgpu-19.1.0 and haven't
20 had any problems in the 3.5 years I've had this box. Do you have the opencl
21 driver installed? I don't know whether you need it; I have it for BOINC
22 projects.
23
24 That version of amdgpu-pro-opencl is the later of just two in the portage
25 tree; the video driver has no other current versions.
28 Regards,
29 Peter.