From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:10:10
1 Vaeth ha scritto:
2 > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Stroller wrote:
3 >> The risk is that you want to install X that depends upon Y.
4 >>
5 >> The ebuild for X states that version >1.2.3 of Y must be used because
6 >> there's a bug in 1.2.2.
7 >>
8 >> The new version of Y fails to compile, so when X is compiled it only
9 >> has the old version of Y to work with. It may compile OK but not work
10 >> or feature a security bug.
11 >
12 > That's not the real risk: Since any sane user will of course check which
13 > packages have failed and make sure that the upgraded version will be
14 > installed, this will not leave you with an inconsistent system
15 > (the next emerge -NaDu world - which of course also any sane user would
16 > do afterwards - would even tell you the problem, and in case of an ABI
17 > change you would be informed by revdep-rebuild).
18
19 Well, that's exactly the point where ciaranm and others accused r0bertz
20 (and implicitly me, usually doing the same) of being... well, the title
21 of my original post is clear.
22
23 "(mlangc) if your "update" script leaves your system unusable you would
24 not even have a clue what went wrong ....
25 [...]
26 (zhllg) mlangc, i can find which packages are broken
27 (zhllg) just run emerge -tavuDN world again immediately after running
28 that script
29 [...]
30 (ciaranm) idiot is too mild a term for this one"
31
32 Harsh tones/awkward social skills apart :) , the guys seem to imply this
33 kind of check is not enough.
36 > The only case I can think of where _really_ problems might arise is the
37 > (very rare) situation which I had described: That the ./configure script
38 > of X builds X without errors but also without support for Y if only 1.2.2
39 > of Y is installed:
40 > Then neither later upgrading of Y nor revdep-rebuild will show anything
41 > suspicious, although X does not behave in the intended way.
42
43 Very clear, thanks.
44 This is, technically, a bug in the ./configure ,however, isn't it?
45
46 m.