From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apparently 2.4 is not >= 2.2?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:09:41
1 On 2021.12.22 17:31, Steven Lembark wrote:
2 > On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:21:17 -0500
3 > Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I may well be wront, but it looks like the problems are not due to
6 > > version, but to python-target mismatches.  You may need to rebuild
7 > > some stuff first, such as pytest-runner and mako.
8 >
9 > You are probably right: I've spent more time playing with
10 > PYTHON*TARGET variables and succesive rebuilds on this machine
11 > than actually doing any work for about a year. Annoyance is
12 > that I don't do anything else with Python here so it's only
13 > for the package manager.
14 >
15 > This is for a fresh build from a recent stage3. It shouldn't
16 > be this painful to just start a new system.
17 With a new system, I would think you should not need to alter the
18 profile defaults in any way. Once you do anything manually to those
19 python variables, it likely devolves into a black hole.
20
21 I would find any python-target related variables in any portage config
22 files, and seriously consider removing them.
23
24 As someone recently suggested in a different thread, start with just
25 "emerge @system" then "emerge @world" (without any non-default options)
26 and only when that is done, start adding back the --newuse and --deep
27 options.
28
29 The other replies have also been good - in terms of where to start
30 looking. Also - which versions of python do you have installed, and
31 which do you actually need?