From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] skype package changes I don't understand
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:14:40
1 Am Montag, 21. Mai 2012, 08:55:25 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> I love my Gentoo-devs, but what is the train of thought here?
6 > >> skype-2.2.0.35-r1 was ~amd64 yesterday. It's installed and working
7 > >> fine. Today 2.2.0.35-r99 is ~amd64, which is perfectly fine, but
8 > >> they've completely removed -r1 and now I'm required to unmask
9 > >> emulation packages that only came out today? That doesn't seem quite
10 > >> right...
11 > >>
12 > >> Why did they completely get rid of -r1? That should stick around for a
13 > >> little while after -r99 becomes ~amd64, shouldn't it?
14 > >>
15 > >> - Mark
16 >
17 > <SNIP>
18 >
19 > > -r1 had a security problem. You should unmask the emulation packages
20 > > and continue the update process. Look at the ChangeLog so see what
21 > > changed. Both versions are ~amd64 so I don't understand your complain
22 > > about keeping -r1 in the tree for a while.
23 > >
24 > > Markos
25 >
26 > Thanks Markos. That's likely what I'll do, although the alternative
27 > I'm looking at for now is possibly getting -r1 from an overlay.
28 >
29 > I didn't think I was _complaining_. I was just asking what the train
30 > of thought was that leads them to do this sort of thing. Everything in
31 > the world has a security problem.
32
33 well, apart from this being not true at all. It is just stupid to keep a known
34 BAD version in a TESTING tree.
35
36 > We know they are either found or not
37 > found. Unmasking 8 emulation libraries that have _yesterdays_ date in
38 > their names, and therefore makes them quite new, may:
39
40 new for their compilation. Not the code inside.
41 >
42 > 1) Create more security problems
43
44 may, but it fixes a KNOWN problem.
47 > 2) Create issues with other programs that use the libraries.
48
49 which are.. none?
52 > Anyway, thanks for the response. I'll either unmask or use an overlay.
53
54 if you use testing, you have to deal with such kind of situations. Using a
55 known broken version is just stupid.
56 There isn't a choice between those two. There is only a choice between: use
57 unstable or stable.
58 And if you use unstable, don't complain about things being fluid.
61 #163933