From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo rebuild, cups won't work
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:18:21
1 On Feb 1, 2008 2:26 AM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Dave Jones wrote:
4 > > Hi Kevin
5 > >
6 > > Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 27/01/08 19:58:
7 > >
8 > >> I've installed cups and hplip. I cannot follow the Gentoo printing
9 > >> guide, because that worthy document requires me to add hplip to the
10 > >> default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in /etc/init.d. My
11 > >> printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a Postscrpt
12 > >> printer.
13 > >>
16 > >> What have I missed?
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > > Run hp-setup
20 > >
21 > > You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've retained
22 > > them from the broken install. hp-setup should enable local printing OK.
23 > >
24 > > /etc/init.d/hplip is no longer necessary with recent hplip ebuilds.
25 > >
26 > > Cheers, Dave
29 > And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
30 > cups. I had to do that last part too.
31 >
32 > Dale
35 The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and hp-setup
36 does
37 not find it. In fact it has an option for LPT printers, but it is greyed
38 out.
39
40 The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0" with a
41 suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with ^L^D).
42
43 ++ kevin
47 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD