From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Photo organizing, slideshows, and S/VCD/DVD authoring/editing
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:41:02
1 Yes, all of those things are possible.
2
3 Oh.... you want the long answer? see below:
6 On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:31:48 +0100
7 Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
8
9 > Hi there,
10 >
11 > I would like to hear what people is using to do the following things,
12 > if this can be done in Linux / Gentoo (I hope so):
13 >
14 > 1. Photo organizing. This includes downloading photos from a Canon
15 > Powershot G6,
16
17 cameras are sometimes (quite often actually) just presents like a usb
18 disk drive. some are more proprietary, which is handled by gphoto2.
19 There are also front ends to gphoto2, eg gtkam.
22 > organizing it in folders (currently done with camera
23 > software), batch renaming them using EXIF information included in
24 > photos, editing EXIF information (currently done with Exifer:
25 > http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/. Unfortunately this is "cardware"
26 > closed source only for Windows)
27
28 There are many good photo databases that do this kind of thing. digikam, kimdaba
32 > 2. Minor photo editing, like red eyes correction, composing whole
33 > images from stitchs (currently done with camera software)
36 gimp
37
38 > 3. Creation of slideshows from photographs. I would like to be able to
39 > select some or all of the photographs, maybe add some opening or
40 > closing title, extract headers or footers from EXIF information, edit
41 > transition between photos, add music to the slideshow, adjust the
42 > duration of photos and transition to fit the music, and export a video
43 > in a suitable format to be included in VCD, SVCD or DVD.
44
45 Not sure on this one, as I haven't done it. There are however plenty of
46 suggestions if you search through portage
50 > 4. VCD / SVCD / DVD authoring. If possible I'd like to have a GUI for
51 > doing this, kind of Ulead DVD Workshop, this is, you can add video
52 > files, create menus in a graphical editor, export and burn a project
53 > in different formats (VCD/SVCD/DVD), include the source folder with
54 > the original images in the resulting CD/DVD...
55
56 dvdstyler is a good gui front end for this.
59 > From what I've found I have the feeling that some of the things may be
60 > done, but others, specially graphical CD/DVD authoring are lacking
61 > some mature tools.
66 > TIA, best regards
67 > Jose
68 >