From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] fsck.ext3 error (only sometimes)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:01:30
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've come across a weird issue. The other day I decided that it's been
4 a while since I've had a good read/write badblocks run through fsck.ext3
5 on all my partitions.
6
7 The problem is with /dev/hdb1 , normally mounted on my Gentoo system as
8 /olddeb since it's a small install of Debian that I keep as a backup.
9
10 Robotech / # fsck.ext3 -fccv -C 0 /dev/hdb1
11 e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
12 ext2fs_block_iterate: Ext2 file too big while sanity checking the bad
13 blocks inode
14 Robotech / #
15
16 I get the same thing with one -c as well. The partition is unmounted. If
17 I run it without any bad block check I get:
18
19 Robotech / # fsck.ext3 -fv -C 0 /dev/hdb1
20 e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
21 Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
22 Pass 2: Checking directory structure
23
24 Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
25
26 Pass 4: Checking reference counts
27
28 Pass 5: Checking group summary information
32 95216 inodes used (19%)
33 1854 non-contiguous inodes (1.9%)
34 # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 5188/57/0
35 636738 blocks used (65%)
36 0 bad blocks
37 0 large files
38
39 78031 regular files
40 7459 directories
41 1326 character device files
42 4170 block device files
43 2 fifos
44 364 links
45 4217 symbolic links (3987 fast symbolic links)
46 2 sockets
47 --------
48 95571 files
49 Robotech / #
52 "badblocks -nvs /dev/hdb1" seems to run fine, but I am worried about the
53 "ext2fs_block_iterate: Ext2 file too big while sanity checking the bad
54 blocks inode" message. Any hits I've found about this has other errors
55 occurring as well, usually "DriveReady SeekComplete" errors. As a
56 result, I'm only seeing responses about the other (more serious) errors,
57 no explanation of this specific message. This is the only partition I'm
58 seeing this on, no other error messages at all. Hdb 2,3, and 4 are fine
59 (all ext3).
60
61 I remounted /dev/hdb1:
62 The largest file on it is 71 megabytes. After moving it to another
63 partition, df -h shows:
64 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
65 /dev/hdb1 3.7G 2.4G 1.2G 67% /olddeb
66
67 Unmounted and tried again, still getting same message.
68
69 Any help is appreciated,
70 Paul NM
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list