From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:18:03
1 On 08/21/2013 05:59 PM, Jean-Christophe Bach wrote:
2 > * hasufell <hasufell@g.o> [21.08.2013. @16:48:10 +0200]:
3 >
4 >> On 08/20/2013 05:12 PM, Randy Westlund wrote:
5 >>> I've heard several people mention jitsi, but was surprised to find that it's not in the portage tree.
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> Jitsi is written in java and thus by design buggy, bloated and hard to
9 >> maintain.
10 >
11 > What a categorical opinion! Developers are writing code and are making
12 > bugs, whatever the language they use. I am pretty sure I am able to
13 > write buggy, bloated and hard to maintain with Haskell, Ada, Java or any
14 > other language…
15 > It is really easy to criticize the programming language instead of
16 > reviewing the development methods.
17 >
18 > The main problem of writing an ebuild for a Java application comes from
19 > bad habits in the Java world: people are usually distributing all
20 > libraries and the program in a big ball of mud. It is great for Windows
21 > users or for users who do not use a real packages manager, but it needs
22 > lot of work to have clean packages.
23 >
24 > Regards,
25 >
26 > JC
29 The average java application is buggy, bloated and hard to maintain. And
30 that is a fact you have to realize as a distributor.
31
32 The programming language "java" is another topic and it sucks too, but
33 yes... you might be able to write non-buggy code.