From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lzma archives
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:31:52
1 On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
4 >> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Nickolay Hodyunya <nickolayh@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> How to extract lzma archives?
6 >>
7 >> by lzma archive, you probably mean a lzma-compressed tar archive.
8 >> You can extract them with
9 >> lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -
10 >
11 > This command line can be simplified:
12 > unlzma -c compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar xv
13
14 I like to do things right (I love Math, exactness and rigor). From
15 tar's info page
16
17 If you don't specify this argument [the argument to -f] , then
18 `tar' will examine the
19 environment variable `TAPE'. If it is set, its value will be used as
20 the archive name. Otherwise, `tar' will use the default archive,
21 determined at the compile time. [...] If there is no tape drive
22 attached, or the default is not meaningful, then `tar' will print an
23 error message. The error message might look
24 roughly like one of the following:
25
26 tar: can't open /dev/rmt8 : No such device or address
27 tar: can't open /dev/rsmt0 : I/O error
28
29 To avoid confusion, we recommend that you always specify an archive file
30 name by using `--file=ARCHIVE-NAME' (`-f ARCHIVE-NAME') when writing
31 your `tar' commands.
32
33 Regarding old-style tar options (that is, tar options without a dash):
34
35 old style syntax makes it difficult to match
36 option letters with their corresponding arguments, and is often
37 confusing
38 [...]
39
40 This old way of writing `tar' options can surprise even experienced
41 users. For example, the two commands:
42
43 tar cfz archive.tar.gz file
44 tar -cfz archive.tar.gz file
45
46 are quite different.
49 So I use either tar --lzma -xv -f compressedarchive.tar.lzma or, when
50 using an old tar,
51 lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -