From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Video iPod
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:24:08
1 On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:00:23 +1300
2 Nick Rout wrote:
3
4 > yes i was reading a threa on the knoppmythwiki last night. I suggest you read there.
7 ooops wrong reference, it was on the knoppmyth forums, specifically
8 here:
9
10 http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ipod&start=15
11
12 basically the author suggests a two pass use of ffmpeg:
13
14 # mpg2ipod
15 # quick script to transcode to an 5G iPod compatible video file
16 # requires recompiling of ffmpeg with xvid, and facc enabled
17 # you can tweak any of the crop, bitrate, etc.
18 # video size has worked for me up to 480x352
19 # this does a 2nd pass because it decreases file size greatly
20 # remove this pass to speed things up
21 # this was a quick hack, but is works for now
22
23 for file in $*
24 do
25 /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i $file -cropleft 4 -cropright 10 -deinterlace -vcodec xvid -s 320x240 -r 29.97 -b 384 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -acodec aac -ab 96 -g 300 -pass 1 -passlogfile mpg2ipod_log -f mov $file.pass1.mov
26 /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i $file -cropleft 4 -cropright 10 -deinterlace -vcodec xvid -s 320x240 -r 29.97 -b 384 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -acodec aac -ab 96 -g 300 -pass 2 -passlogfile mpg2ipod_log -f mov $file.ipod.mov
27 rm -f $file.pass1.mov
28 rm -f mpg2ipod_log*
29 done
32 basically the video codec can be xvid ox x.264, the audio codec is aac,
33 the container format is .m4v, .mp4 or .mov by the looks of it. The other specs are in that thread. I do suggest you read the whole thread, as it
34 also sets up an RSS service for itunes (so you can just grab new videos
35 for the ipod) and the transcoding operations amy have been tweaked (the
36 above was the guy's first try, and may have been changed in his later
37 posts)
38
39 I downloaded a movie made for ipod last night and it played in ffplay,
40 so i am guessing that I have ffmpeg compiled with the right options.
41 (Not that I have an ipod, I am just nterested in multimedia and
42 trancoding)
43
44 My ffmpeg use flags are below. I think aac and xvid are the ones that
45 are really needed here.
46
47 nick@sf ~ $ equery uses ffmpeg
48 [ Searching for packages matching ffmpeg... ]
49 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
50 [ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
51 [ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
52 [ Found these USE variables for media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20050226-r5 ]
53 U I
54 + + aac : Enables support for MPEG-4 AAC Audio
55 - - altivec : Adds support for optimizations for G4 and G5/ppc970 processors
56 - - debug : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
57 + + doc : Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
58 + + ieee1394 : Enable FireWire/iLink IEEE1394 support (dv, camera, ...)
59 + + a52 : Enables support for decoding ATSC A/52 streams used in DVD
60 + + encode : Adds support for encoding of audio or video files
61 + + imlib : Adds support for media-libs/imlib (Image loading and rendering library)
62 + + mmx : Adds support for optimizations for Pentium MMX and Athlon class processors
63 + + ogg : Adds support for the Ogg container format (commonly used by Vorbis, Theora and flac)
64 + + vorbis : Adds support for the OggVorbis audio codec
65 + + oss : Adds support for OSS (Open Sound System)
66 - - threads : Adds threads support for various packages. Usually pthreads
67 + + truetype : Adds support for FreeType and/or FreeType2 fonts
68 + + v4l : Enables video4linux support
69 + + xvid : Adds support for xvid.org's open-source mpeg-4 codec
70 + + dts : Enables libdts (DTS Coherent Acoustics decoder) support
71 + + network : Enables network streaming support
72 + + zlib : Adds support for zlib (de)compression
73 + + sdl : Adds support for Simple Direct Layer (media library)
76 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list