From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] core i5
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:58:43
1 On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 >>
6 >> real    94m25.632s
7 >> user    246m19.420s
8 >> sys     36m19.092s
9 >> c2stable ~ #
10 >>
11 >> Even though i have 12 processor threads you can see the effectivity is
12 >> more like 3 or 4 1 overall. A lot of the kde compile only uses 1 or 2
13 >> cores per package and then there's a lot of time spent waiting for
14 >> hard drives, etc.
15 >
16 > Try adding -j to emerge and watch it truly maximize your cores. When I
17 > emerged KDE it was compiling something like 90 packages
18 > simultaneously.
19
20 Does seems to help although this is apples and oranges. My previous
21 build was the newest kde-4.4.4 on the 980x without using -j on the
22 emerge. Yesterday afternoon I tried emerge -j5 -DuN @world on an
23 i5-661 machine I also built for my dad. That emerge also included the
24 newest kde and total was close to 350 ebuild. It completed in maybe
25 2-2.5 hours which is good. IIRC when I first built KDE on that machine
26 it took maybe 4 hours? Not sure. Anyway, the emerge -j helped, but on
27 the downside emerge died twice in the process complaining about
28 something. If I restarted emerge it didn't fail the second time and
29 continued on until it died again, and I had to restart it again.
30
31 I think I read here about others having that problem. Nothing was bad
32 in the end, and everything got done, but it took a little more hand
33 holding.
34
35 Thanks for the pointer.
36