From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Transparent network compression
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:05:37
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Is it possible to compress all the network traffic to one host?
3 >
4 > My problem is: One of my PCs is connected to my network via an old powerline
5 > adapter (first generation on the consumer market, 1 or 2 MBit). Distcc has
6 > got an option for using lzo but I would like to have a solution for NFS, too.
7 > With a bandwidth like this even bzip2 could be useful.
8
9 You could tunnel all your traffic through an OpenVPN [1] link. OpenVPN
10 can be configured to compress all packets using LZO (--comp-lzo). And if
11 encryption overhead is too high, you could have it use a null cipher
12 (--cipher null).
13
14 -- Remy
15