From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I force net.ath0 to use a certain channel?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:18:34
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:20:21 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2
3 > Please tell me there is some way to tweak my /etc/conf.d/wireless (or
4 > anything for that matter), so that I can tell it, "hey, when connecting
5 > to 'MATRIX', always use 802.11b and/or a certain channel range
6 > (presumably in the 'b' range)".
7
8 You can do this globally for the interface, with channel_ath0. You could
9 probably use the preassociate() function to do it on a per-essid basis.
10 See wireless.example.
11
12 > Furthermore, it would REALLY be great if I could do something whereby,
13 > if I have net.eth0 (i.e. CAT5 cable) then don't start net.ath0, else
14 > try net.ath0. Right now I have net.ath0 disabled by default because I
15 > hate when it starts up when I'm plugged in at work, as my traffic seems
16 > to go over the "slower" ath0 rather than the faster eth0 port. ?! I
17 > have ifplugd installed, but I don't think it can manage this kind of
18 > (seemingly obvious and intelligent) decision.
19
20 ifplugd's task is to signal when eth0's cable is connected or
21 disconnected, not make decisions about other interfaces for you.
22
23 Use the pre-up function in /etc/conf.d/net.
24
25 preup() {
26 if [ ${IFACE} == "ath0" ] && /etc/init.d/net.eth0 --quiet status
27 then
28 return 1
29 fi
30 }
31
32 This will prevent ath0 starting if eth0 is connected.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Is that "woof" feed me; "woof" walk me; "woof" there's a burglar? What??