From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 05:18:30
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 02:00:23AM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote
5 > >> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> You need an OpenRC use flag to install OpenRC init scripts? That's
8 > >> simply a lie.
9 > >
10 > > An apology to Daniel might be in order. I start my USE flag with "-*".
11 > > During a recent install, I found out "the hard way" that eudev (and udev)
12 > > do not install their init scripts without the "openrc" flag. As you can
13 > > see from the ebuild fragments below, they require the "openrc" flag to
14 > > pull in sys-fs/udev-init-scripts
15 > >
16 > > From sys-fs/udev/udev-197-r8.ebuild
17 > > ===================================
18 > > PDEPEND=">=virtual/udev-197-r1
19 > > hwdb? ( >=sys-apps/hwids-20130114[udev] )
20 > > openrc? ( >=sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-19-r1 )"
21 > >
22 > > From sys-fs/eudev/eudev-1_beta4-r1.ebuild
23 > > =========================================
24 > > PDEPEND=">=virtual/udev-180
25 > > openrc? ( >=sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-18 )"
26 >
27 > udev/eudev are special cases: the first is systemd with systemd
28 > removed at make install time; the second is a fork of systemd with
29 > systemd exorcised. The systemd package also uses the "openrc" USE flag
30 > to install OpenRC init scripts; I hope you agree that it is also an
31 > special case (systemd, which is a whole init system, provides init
32 > scripts for another init system). The package sys-apps/kmod also uses
33 > the "openrc" USE flag to install an init script, which "Create[s] [a]
34 > list of required static device nodes for the current kernel". I have
35 > no idea why this is necessary, but kmod is a dependency of systemd,
36 > and the developers of both projects collaborate a lot between them.
37 >
38 > No other package in the tree uses an "openrc" USE flag (or at least
39 > they don't appear in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc), except for
40 > plymouth, and that it's to install a plugin for OpenRC, not to install
41 > its OpenRC scripts.
42 >
43 > So no package in the tree uses an "openrc" USE flag to install init
44 > scripts, except for one somewhat related to systemd, two forks and/or
45 > special handling of systemd, and systemd itself. In *ALL* the other
46 > packages in the tree, the OpenRC init scripts are installed
47 > unconditionally, as the systemd unit files are.
48 >
49 > And that's how it should be.
50 >
51 > Lastly, the ebuilds for udev/eudev should work out of the box in a
52 > sane configuration. You have been told several times, both by users
53 > and developers, that USE="-*" is not really supported; you broke your
54 > system by using it, you get to keep the pieces.
55 >
56 > Gentoo is about choice (or so I keep hearing); that doesn't mean it
57 > shouldn't strive to have sane defaults that keep the majority happy:
58 >
59 > http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2013/07/23/keeping-the-majority-happy/
60
61 So, I hope the package maintainers will create or install systemd units
62 and init.d files so we can have the choice and not spend tons of time
63 maintaining the system -- it gets to the point of being rediculous after
64 a while. Systemd sounds nice, but its frustrating because of this.
67 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
68 How do
69 you spend it?
70
71 John Covici