From: Eric Crossman <edge1035@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] specifying DNS servers
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:45:10
1 On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 14:43 -0400, Mark wrote:
2 > Can I specify different DNS servers for each of my two physical
3 > interfaces to use? One nic is configured for DHCP, and the other is
4 > static. The DHCP enabled NIC gets its DNS server list automatically
5 > and updates (overwrites) /etc/resolv.conf. How can I point my static
6 > IP NIC to a different DNS server since it's on a different network? Or
7 > is there a different/better solution?
8 >
9 > --
10 > Mark
11 > [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]
12
13 I will venture a guess that the reason you want to do this is that each
14 DNS server can resolve some but not all of the names/IPs that you need
15 to resolve. In addition, rather than waiting for the resolver to timeout
16 and move onto the next nameserver, you would like send DNS queries to
17 the appropriate DNS server on the first attempt.
18
19 If the above is true, one of the things you could do is run a local
20 caching nameserver and point resolv.conf to localhost (127.0.0.1). You
21 would then configure forwarders (upstream DNS servers) on a domain by
22 domain basis as well as a default one. This is especially easy to do
23 with dnscache/tinydns.
24
25 Eric
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list