From: dnebinger@××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] DHCP-based eth0 startup failure.
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:26:23
1 Hey, all. Suffered power outtage yesterday. Not much of a big deal as the
2 ups brought the system down on battery...
3
4 That's the good news. The bad news is that, upon system boot, my dhcp-based
5 eth0 interface no longer comes up and I don't know why...
6
7 When the init script is run it reports that it is bringing the card up in
8 DHCP and that it is calling dhclient. At that point, however, the startup
9 shows the [!!] indicating a failure occurred but I have no real details why.
10
11 The only thing in the system log is a message from dhclient:
12 receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is down.
13
14 dmesg doesn't report any errors related to the network card.
15
16 After the system is up I can log in at the console and run dhclient manually
17 as root and eth0 comes up fine.
18
19 The system previously came up fine, so it's got to be something from the last
20 couple of weeks (the system is up 24x7 so it has been awhile since the last
21 boot).
22
23 The only significant change to the box recently was the new baselayout, but
24 I think I got everything migrated successfully.
25
26 Anyone out there have a suggestion as to how to diagnose and resolve this?
27
28 Thanks in advance,
29
30 Dave