From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to misconfigure USB ports in the kernel?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 09:28:28
1 Michael and All,
2
3 Long time ago, on Wednesday, 2021-03-31 12:21:27 +0100, <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > OK, unless you made a typo and the "minutes" were meant to say seconds, this
7 > is ridiculously slow.
8
9 Yes, it really were minutes.
10
11 > You could run some tests to see what is causing the delay. The veracrypt
12 > algos & cipher iterations, the fuse based ntfs-3g, or the USB stick's
13 > controller.
14 >
15 > However if, as I understand it, all other variables are the same and the only
16 > change was to replace your Verbatim 64G USB 2.0 sticks with Philips 128G USB
17 > 3.0 sticks, then the slow writes point to the Philips devices being the
18 > culprit.
19
20 I just directly formatted one of my two Philips 128G USB 3.0 sticks with
21 "mkntfs" and the write performance without VeraCrypt did not improve.
22 Further searching the web I found that vendors were rarely specifying
23 the writing speeds of their USB sticks at all, and if they did, there
24 was a tendency to exaggerate. See for instance
25
26 https://www.lifewire.com/sandisk-extreme-pro-solid-state-flash-drive-review-4689258
27
28 Checking what SanDisk USB sticks I could easily obtain locally I finally
29 picked two SanDisk Ultra 128 GB USB 3.0 sticks, and it turned out the
30 writing speed was just amazing, with and without VeraCrypt. So basical-
31 ly, USB 3.0 denotes a standard rather than a (write) speed, and it pays
32 to search the web for benchmark tests before buying.
33
34 Thanks for all the help and support the participants on this list are
35 providing ... :-)
36
37 Sincerely,
38 Rainer