From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine: incremental back-ups
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 08:27:52
1 Am 04.10.2012 08:38, schrieb Philip Webb:
2 > My new machine is working very well -- thanks again for the advice -- ,
3 > tho' the sighing noise from the CPU fan is a bit trying (smile),
4 > & I'm considering setting up an incremental back-up system
5 > so that if the SSD collapses,
6 > I can restore everything from files stored on the HDD without re-installing.
7 >
8 > I already have an adequate set-up of back-ups, incl off-site copies,
9 > which ensures my personal files + configs cb restored,
10 > but it involves some human intervention from me at various times
11 > & I would have to re-install all the system + Portage stuff.
12 >
13 > What do people who do incremental back-ups use ?
16 I am using http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ (in portage) which brings
17 some nice features like compression, de-duplication and a web interface.
18 Once configured it runs automatically.
19
20 Just as of today I started some tests with storeBackup (which is not in
21 portage: http://www.nongnu.org/storebackup/). It has a nice feature
22 list: compression, de-dup (even on block devices), backup replication,
23 checksums and the author claims, you can restore backups even without
24 having storeBackup at hand.
25
26 What do you use for cloud/offsite backups? I am still searching for the
27 perfect solution. Requirements: backups must be encrypted, delta-sync,
28 and being able to resume interrupted transfers to the offsite location.
29
30 At the moment I am using duply, which is a frontend for duplictiy. But
31 with duplicity, a flipped bit in the backup chain can render all
32 following backups useless.
33 So now I am thinking about encfs. Just encrypt the backup (or use encfs
34 --reverse) and rsync to offsite location.