From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nvidia warning comes a tad late
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:33:41
1 So, like a good gentoo user I'm emerging some updates available for my system.
2
3 To my surprise when I happen to look at the screen (as it's taking some time
4 to build and I'm obviously not watching the entire time), I see this:
7 * ***** WARNING *****
8 *
9 * You are currently installing a version of nvidia-drivers that is
10 * known not to work with a video card you have installed on your
11 * system. If this is intentional, please ignore this. If it is not
12 * please perform the following steps:
13 *
14 * Add the following mask entry to /etc/portage/package.mask by
15 * echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
16 *
17 * Failure to perform the steps above could result in a non-working
18 * X setup.
19 *
20 * For more information please read:
21 * http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
22 * You must be in the video group to use the NVIDIA device
23 * For more info, read the docs at
24 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml#doc_chap3_sect6
25 *
26 * This ebuild installs a kernel module and X driver. Both must
27 * match explicitly in their version. This means, if you restart
28 * X, you most modprobe -r nvidia before starting it back up
29 *
30 * To use the NVIDIA GLX, run "eselect opengl set nvidia"
31 *
32 * nVidia has requested that any bug reports submitted have the
33 * output of /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh included.
34 *
35 * To work with compiz, you must enable the AddARGBGLXVisuals option.
36 *
37 * If you are having resolution problems, try disabling DynamicTwinView.
38
39 Sure enough, X no longer works. I'm following the instructions now, but...
40 Don't you think the default action here should be to do nothing instead of
41 breaking my system?
42
43 Not impressed. Hopefully this critical message would be summarized at the end
44 of the build too. Kind of important. I got lucky and happened to see it...
45
46 Thanks,
47 Mike
48 --
49 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
50 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
51 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
52 --Albert Einstein