From: Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xscavenger - game
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:52:01
1 On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:55:36 -0600
2 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 07/05/13 23:36, David Relson wrote:
5 > >On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 18:49:20 -0600
6 > >Joseph wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> I installed "xscavenger" and it installed without any problems but
9 > >> I can seems to find this game anywhere. Yes, I'm in "games" group.
10 > >>
11 > >> >From the command line:
12 > >> /usr/games/bin/scavenger
13 > >> -bash: /usr/games/bin/scavenger: Permission denied
14 > >>
15 > >> /usr/games/bin/scavenger
16 > >> -rwxr-x--- 1 root games 70496 Jul 5 18:39 /usr/games/bin/scavenger
17 > >>
18 > >> --
19 > >> Joseph
20 > >
21 > >User root has permissions rwx. Group games has permissions
22 > >r-x. Everyone else has no access (permission ---).
23 > >
24 > >You're getting "Permission denied" because you're not running as
25 > >root and you're not a member of group "games".
26 > >
27 > >Regards,
28 > >
29 > >David
30 >
31 > Thanks David for pointing it.
32 > Your are correct.
33 >
34 > What was confusing to me is the fact that I logged into the system
35 > via ssh to my account and "su" to use who was in group "games" but
36 > for some reason or another the games would not execute.
37 >
38 > When I ssh directly to the user account, it worked :-/
39
40 Not sure if this was your problem, but since you said you were in the
41 games group to start with... Note that after adding your user to any
42 group, you need to log out and back in for that change to take affect.
43 Existing sessions don't detect it. If you don't want to re-log in,
44 you can "sg games" to open a new shell in the games group, or probably
45 su -l to yourself as suggested.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Bryan