From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT: NAS] linux based storage solutions
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:11:37
1 Being an Event Videographer one runs into hefty space
2 requirments very quickly.
3
4 I'm running 4 machines.... 3 are loaded for video editing and other
5 graphics intensive stuff like photoshop and all the adobe tools.
6
7 They have large drives but very quickly I've begun to need more
8 massive storage accessable to all.
9
10 My main desktop is gentoo linux but it doesn't figure largely in the
11 video work.
12
13 I'm looking at NAS [Network attached storage] appliances and finding
14 they are either too simple and small or too expensive.
15
16 Anyone here using a linux based solution for this kind of need?
17
18 Any input on this would be most welcome.
19
20 I'm thinking of getting a cheapish machine at 3.2 Ghz or so with a
21 motherboard that allows at least 4 HDD maybe as many as 6.
22
23 Using gentoo on the box for networking and it must have at least 2
24 gigabit eithernet adapters. I guess serving the windows boxes thru
25 smb.
26
27 The drives would be NTFS filesystems.
28
29 Are there known problems with this kind of setup? Like maybe samba
30 would choke on moving huge amounts of data or something?
31
32 What raid configurations might be good for this?
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list