From: Jon M <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New to Gentoo. Having trouble getting it started for the first time
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:06:25
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 11/10/06, Jon M <gentoo@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> The contents of my /boot/grub/grub.conf is as follows:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 >> Everything look normal so far?
8 >
9 > Yep.
10 >
11 >> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
12 >
13 > This is not a problem with your grub configuration. The
14 > "unknown-block(0,0)" tells me that the kernel cannot find a device for
15 > hda3. You probably missed either the device driver needed for your
16 > IDE chipset, or IDE hard drive support in your kernel configuration.
17 >
18 > If you need help figuring out what you need here, post the outputs of:
19 >
20 > grep -v -e "^#" -e "^$" /usr/src/linux/.config
21 > lspci -v
22 >
23 > HTH,
24 > -Richard
25
26 Hi Richard,
27
28 I think you are correct. I just scanned through the output of those two
29 commands and I believe I may have missed the IDE chipset. I'm going to
30 try enabling it and see if that helps.
31
32 As for the other two responses, I did compile ReiserFS directly into the
33 kernel, and also tried changing the kernel line in grub.conf to read
34 kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3 with little success.
35
36 Hopefully this will work though.
37
38 Thanks again!