From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:13:08
1 > > Can we agree that active developers are good for Gentoo,
2 >
3 > Yes
4 >
5 > > and the more the better?
6 >
7 > If they are co-operating or working on separate projects, not if they are
8 > competing and flaming.
9 >
10 > > I think other posters to this thread may be trying to compile a
11 > > similar set of statistics, but I'll just come out and say it. Can we
12 > > compare historical data on the number of Gentoo users and the rate of
13 > > Gentoo maintenance and growth?
14 >
15 > Number of users is largely irrelevant, it's not as if Gentoo needs a
16 > number of "customers" to survive, it is a non-profit organisation
17 > producing free products.
18
19 That's exactly the argument here, and the point of creating the 3-way
20 comparison I suggested. I'm trying to determine if Gentoo does "need
21 a number of customers to survive", to thrive, or not at all. If you
22 are all correct, an increased user base would not benefit Gentoo, but
23 there is a possibility that it would and has. That's what I'm trying
24 to determine.
25
26 > The latter number is more interesting, and
27 > should be available from places like Gentoo's CVS repositories and the
28 > site Bo mentioned earlier in this thread.
29 >
30 > For a rough idea of the rate of development, look at the portage snapshots
31 > on the install CDs over the years and count the packages. Of course, mere
32 > number cannot quantify things like the improvements in the quality of the
33 > software.
34
35 It's clear that no one source of data will serve to represent any of
36 the three desired plot-lines: users, rate of maintenance, and rate of
37 growth. In that case, some type of composite score for each is in
38 order. Can anyone suggest sources of data for each composite score?
39 In addition to or in lieu of the composite scores, the individual data
40 points could be compared to each other for a more fine-grained set of
41 statistics.
42
43 Users
44 - bouncer.gentoo.org activity
45 - mailing list activity
46 - forum activity
47 - general website activity
48 - Gentoo Store data
49
50 Rate of Maintenance
51 - ratio of opened bugs to closed bugs
52 - other bugs.gentoo.org info
53
54 Rate of Growth
55 - CVS repository data
56 - info from http://cia.navi.cx/
57 - number of packages in old portage snapshots
58
59 Please post additions or modifications to the above list, especially
60 pertaining to the rate of growth. A real developer should be able to
61 better determine the specific data to use in that estimation.
62
63 - Grant
64 --
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list