From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 03:52:24
1 On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:51:57 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:38:17 -0500, »Q« wrote:
5 >
6 > > > It's not a bad idea to manage the PYTHON_TARGETS,
7 > > > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, and RUBY_TARGET variables if you *need* a
8 > > > specific version of python or ruby. If you do not, I would say it
9 > > > is bad. These are set in the profile so that the maintainers can
10 > > > decide when to update to a new stable version. Since all of the
11 > > > various python and ruby libraries are installed from source, it's
12 > > > generally a good idea to wait for the maintainers to stabilize a
13 > > > certain version since that means the library support is also
14 > > > good.
15 > >
16 > > How can I find out whether the profile is setting those variables?
17 >
18 > By removing USE="-*". At the moment it doesn't matter which profile
19 > you use or what it sets as you are then telling portage to ignore all
20 > its settings, even the critical ones.
21
22 I'm getting conflicting info on this. Do profiles really only set USE
23 flags or do they do something else as well? (Or does USE="-*" affect
24 things *other* than USE?)
25
26 > As portage evolves and the devs update the profiles to keep in line,
27 > your system will be come gradually more broken, as happened when
28 > PYTHON_TARGET variables were introduced.
29
30 Following this list and -dev seems to keep me up-to-date on the
31 changes, as happened when the PYTHON_ variables were introduced.
32 AFAICS, the only brokenness so far is that I'm complicating my life
33 more than several people here think I should be.