From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] traffic shaping
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 07:56:36
1 On Sunday 02 April 2006 21:06, Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] traffic shaping':
3 > Is there any application or script that is easy to configure and does
4 > all the necessary things to shape my DSL traffic?
5
6 Not at this time.
7
8 However, it's actually fairly easy to throw something together with HTB
9 that works fairly well. If you are only matching on protocol (TCP or UDP)
10 and (source or destination) (IP or port) a custom iproute2 script will not
11 be that hard.
12
13 tc qdisc created your root HTB(s); tc class creates your child/sibling HTBs
14 [classes under the same qdisc can swap bandwidth]; tc filter decides what
15 classes receive packets.
16
17 Hit the TLDP Advanced Routing HOWTO and just hit the parts about HTB and tc
18 filter. Then, go to the HTB site and read the user documentation there.
19 Then come back and read the tc filter stuff again -- expect to learn a
20 little to a lot about how a packet looks be it IP, TCP, or UDP.
21
22 Write some scripts and experiment, you won't get it perfect the first time
23 but after a little bit of work you'll find your browsing experience much
24 better. Your filtering policies won't match mine, so it's hard to give a
25 single script. I find it works best to load up your connection then start
26 experimenting with a network monitor in another window -- you'll be able
27 to see changes quickly and (at least with HTB) you won't drop packets just
28 because you were changing settings.
29
30 When it comes down to it, if you are killing your upstream /something/ is
31 going to suffer, tc just lets you put the pain where you want it; if you
32 regularly saturate your upstream, buy fatter pipes. TC WILL NOT HELP AN
33 OVERLOADED DOWNSTREAM since it has no control over what packets are sent
34 to you.
35
36 If your requirements are fairly simple, send it my way and I'll try to
37 write out a script for you; I know I need more practice.
40 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
41 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
42 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
43 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh