From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:43:00
1 Hey,
2
3 > Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
4 > a replacement which should
5 > -- be widely configurable via ascii files
6 > -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
7 > -- be also useable with the mouse
8 > -- no eye-candy
9 > -- not ugly
10 > -- NOT tiling
11 > -- FAST!
12 >
13 > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
14 > what windowmanagers.
15
16 Many people say fluxbox here, but you should also have a look at openbox
17 (http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Main_Page) which is very similar
18 but seems to integrate better into freedesktop.org standards. I use
19 openbox because it gives me the speed and configurability of fluxbux
20 while all the automagic things (suspend-keys, volume-keys,
21 powermanagement, plasmoids, ...) that hal and kde4 bring still work.
22 But maybe the latest version of fluxbox also does that..? I have not
23 checked on it for a while.
24
25 cheers
26 Thomas
30 Thomas Kahle
31
32 The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
33 mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
34 has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
35 should software be any different?