From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Replacing my router
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:16:47
I have 2 Internet connections, 1 fast ADSL and 1 slow wireless as a
backup. My router doesn't do automatic failover or even have support for
multiple WAN connections so I thought I'd set up PPP connections on my
Gentoo server that do PPPoE to the 2 modems which I connected directly
to my switch. This worked well but I soon realised that my server was
offering up DHCP IP addresses to machines on the otherside of my
wireless connection!

So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router. I'm a bit of a
newbie on advanced networking but I think that a router is basically
just a switch with a VLAN for the local network and VLAN for the WAN. Is
this assumption correct? If so I will setup 2 VLAN's on my switch (a
Linksys SGE2000).

Also how can I setup the NIC on my server to be connected to both VLAN's
and only do DHCP for the local VLAN? Should I be able to or need to
prevent one VLAN from seeing the second VLAN? What is STR and do I need
to set this up? Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Dave.