From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Replacing my router
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:16:47
1 I have 2 Internet connections, 1 fast ADSL and 1 slow wireless as a
2 backup. My router doesn't do automatic failover or even have support for
3 multiple WAN connections so I thought I'd set up PPP connections on my
4 Gentoo server that do PPPoE to the 2 modems which I connected directly
5 to my switch. This worked well but I soon realised that my server was
6 offering up DHCP IP addresses to machines on the otherside of my
7 wireless connection!
8
9 So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router. I'm a bit of a
10 newbie on advanced networking but I think that a router is basically
11 just a switch with a VLAN for the local network and VLAN for the WAN. Is
12 this assumption correct? If so I will setup 2 VLAN's on my switch (a
13 Linksys SGE2000).
14
15 Also how can I setup the NIC on my server to be connected to both VLAN's
16 and only do DHCP for the local VLAN? Should I be able to or need to
17 prevent one VLAN from seeing the second VLAN? What is STR and do I need
18 to set this up? Any other suggestions?
19
20 Cheers,
21 Dave.
22 --