From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission denied)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 19:11:14
1 On 2/7/21 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 01:28:39 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> I disable "slim" login manager and try not to use any display manger
5 >> (for simplicity). I start X from:
6 >>
7 >> ~/.bash_profile
8 >> exec startx -- vt1
9 >>
10 >> but now when I try to ssh as user, I get:
11 >>
12 >> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
13 >> (EE)
14 >> Fatal server error:
15 >> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission denied)
18 > Of course you are, because you are still trying to start X. If you must
19 > start X from .bash_profile, you need something like
20 >
21 > [ -z "$SSH_TTY" ] && startx ...
22 >
23 > to only start it when not using SSH.
24
25 What do you suggest?
26 I was planning to get away from "slim" as I think it is getting more unstable; I just need a simple system to start X, log-in over ssh and use x2go session.
27
28 I removed startx from .bash_profile and put in: ~/.xinitrc "exec startxfce4" and I was under impression that xfce4 will start automatically when I log-in but instead I get a user command prompt and have to type:
29 startxfce4
30 But now ssh login works and x2go-session works as well.
31
32 So why isn't startxfce4 starts automatically, what am I missing?