From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:42:52
1 On Sunday 14 February 2010 16:40:01 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > > Just to bring this back to your original statement of Unix philosophy.
3 > > IPC on modern desktops conforms exactly to the Unix philosophy.
4 >
5 > On dbus, everything's a file ?
6
7 You are either ignorant, or trying to be a jackass. Either way, it's obvious
8 you do not underatand Unix philosophy
9
10 "Everything is a file" is but one of many engineering concepts underpinning
11 Unix. I really don't have the inclination to delineate them for you, I suggest
12 you Google the topic - it will serve you well in future.
13
14 Meanwhile, here's the short description of the main principle behind what I
15 said:
16
17 "A large collection of small programs, each of which does one thing well."
18
19 The one thing an MUA does well is NOT popup notifications but dealing with
20 mail - retrieving it (or causing it to be retrieved), sending it (or causing
21 it to be sent) and displaying it to be read.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com