From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't connect to new router
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 19:10:42
1 On Thursday 09 September 2010 04:44:26 Grant wrote:
2 > >> I just got a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router but I can't seem
3 > >> connect to it. I've tried the Gentoo initscript as well as wicd.
4 > >> With the initscript, I get:
5 > >>
6 > >> wlan3: carrier lost
7 > >> wlan3: timed out
8 > >>
9 > >> I see a lot of this in dmesg:
10 > >>
11 > >> b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed
12 > >>
13 > >> I can connect to other wireless routers just fine, and I can connect
14 > >> to this one via ethernet. I've tried configuring it in various ways,
15 > >> security is disabled, and I've tried specifying static IPs with no
16 > >> luck. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
17 > >
18 > > Check that you're using the latest kernel and the latest firmware. I
19 > > used to get this error with a particular cisco access point and it went
20 > > away when I updated to 2.6.34 kernel series and also updated the
21 > > firmware. Have a good look in here to find the latest suitable firmware
22 > > for your NIC:
23 > >
24 > > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
25 >
26 > I upgraded to the latest firmware in portage and the "MAC suspend
27 > failed" errors have disappeared, but I still can't connect to the
28 > router. Here is the only clue I see in dmesg:
29 >
30 > No probe response from AP a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 after 500ms, disconnecting.
31 >
32 > Any ideas?
33
34 Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver. Last time I had
35 this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer kernel. It's
36 something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm not sure that this
37 is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo. I believe it is hard
38 coded.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick