From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Screen sharing software or similar
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:00:42
1 Renat Golubchyk writes:
2
3 > My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
4 > her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
5 > regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
6 > time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
7 > this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
8 > too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
9 > writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
10 > keyboard and mouse.
11 >
12 > So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
13 > both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
14 > a requirement.
15 >
16 > Do you have any other ideas? For the record, we have a 2 Mbit DSL line
17 > on one end and a 6 Mbit on the other. Those are, of course, downstream
18 > bandwidth rates.
19
20 You could use Skype to replace your phone communication, if you don't mind
21 its spookiness (I do). It also does video conferencing. If plain audio is
22 enough, I'd use TeamSpeak.
23
24 Some jabber client for text conversations would be fine. Also works for
25 formulas, if you know some LaTeX...
26
27 And then VNC (epecially TightVNC) to share your drawings on the tablet.
28
29 For ultimate performance, you could install NX, which makes X forwarding
30 amazingly fast. One party connects to the remote NX server and opens a KDE
31 3.5 session, which will work nearly as fast if it were opened locally. And
32 the other connects via VNC to that KDE session, which is also very fast
33 then because it runs locally, not over DSL. I do not know if other window
34 managers than KDE 3.5 have the VNC sharing feature, I have not found it in
35 KDE4.
36
37 You might need some port forwarding if you both are NATed behind a router.
38
39 Wonko