From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Brother Printer
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 00:25:29
1 On 2016-12-08 22:02, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
2
3 > I have a Brother MFC 7420. Yet, it's not connected to my
4 > Gentoo but to a FreeBSD box. There, I completely ignored the
5 > recommended drivers. I configured lpd (/etc/printcap) to
6 > first pipe the PostScript/PDF documents through a
7 > Ghostscript command. The only real problem was to find the
8 > proper device driver (ljet2p).
9 >
10 > gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ljet2p -r600 -sOutputFile=- -
11 >
12 > Then I wrap around this a simple self-written PJL frame.
13
14 If you do something like this, you may find noqp interesting:
15
16 https://github.com/nobrowser/noqp
17
18 IIRC there are other similar programs as well - writing noqp was
19 definitely motivated by NIH to a fairly large degree :-)
22 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
23 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
24 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html