From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] uevent_helper on kernel 3.16.5-gentoo
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:47:27
1 On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:36:44 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I understand that udev needs or used to need uevent_helper, but I am
4 > not clear if I should or should not enable this module in a new kernel
5 > I'm rolling. Can you please advise:
8 > CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER:
9 >
10 > The uevent helper program is forked by the kernel for
11 > every uevent.
12 > Before the switch to the netlink-based uevent source, this was
13 > used to hook hotplug scripts into kernel device events. It
14 > usually pointed to a shell script at /sbin/hotplug.
15 > This should not be used today,
16 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
17
18 > because usual systems create
19 > many events at bootup or device discovery in a very short time
20 > frame. One forked process per event can create so many processes
21 > that it creates a high system load, or on smaller systems
22 > it is known to create out-of-memory situations during bootup.
23
24 It's a legacy setting, introduced so you can turn off this feature.
25 Presumably it defaults to Y for compatibility but I've been following the
26 advice and running without it for some time now - on desktops and servers.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 WinErr 004: Erroneous error - Nothing is wrong