From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] reload etc conf files
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:31:51
1 laurent wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I finished etc-updates with a lot of files, is there a way or even need
5 > to make all application reload the updated configuration files?
6 >
7 > thx
8 > Laurent
11 It depends upon the software / changes involved. Many services (eg. web
12 server, mail servers) have a "reload" option on the init script (ie.
13 /etc/init.d/apache reload), otherwise you generally need to restart them
14 to apply changes. Some services / daemons will pick up changes on the
15 fly, but generally they don't in my experience.
16
17 Programs which are not services / daemons will pick the changes up the
18 next time they are run.
19
20 You DO NOT generally need to reboot to make sure config changes are
21 correctly loaded. This is not Windows. You just need to read the
22 documentation for the software involved.
23
24 AllenJB