From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:18:10
1 On 29/08/2017 18:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Another example is LVM. You or I might really need it (debatable now we
5 >> have ZFS) but the average user has no concept of what it might be, or
6 >> care. So why do Ubuntu installers shove it in your face as something
7 >> really cool that you should really really use? Because the author of the
8 >> installer thinks it's really cool, that's why.
11 > Maybe.
12 >
13 > Or maybe because when that computer's hard drive starts getting full
14 > and you add a new hard drive, if you're using lvm with a few commands
15 > you can make your /home expand across both drives, while with straight
16 > partitions that is a lot more work.
17 >
18 > There really is no reason not to use some kind of volume management
19 > solution these days, whether that is zfs/btrfs, or lvm. When your
20 > data is on lvm it is MUCH easier to move it around than if you just
21 > put it directly on drive partitions.
22 >
23 > Arguably you want more flexibility around adding/removing drives on
24 > the desktop than in the enterprise, because desktop users don't add
25 > and remove drives in sets of 5-6. This is why I think btrfs is
26 > actually superior to zfs conceptually on the desktop (setting aside
27 > the fact that it will tend to eat your data) - the flexibility matters
28 > more on the small scale because you want to go from a 3-disk RAID5 to
29 > a 4-disk RAID5.
32 Yes, I know what LVM is for and how to drive it. I think it's wonderful
33 software for what it was designed to do, and it's "does what it says on
34 the box" score is way up there with much other good stuff.
35
36 But I'm not talking about it for users like you and I.
37 I've said over and over in this thread about regular users and you seem
38 to be missing that part; it's the entirety of everything I'm saying
39 here. I didn't say LVM shouldn't be available, I said that installers
40 shouldn't put it up front and centre in the user's face claiming that
41 it's awesome.
42
43 Your average user has no idea what volume management even is and are
44 completely lost when it comes up. They just have no mental image of what
45 it even could be and a tool that is not understood and not used is not
46 worth installing.
50 Alan McKinnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com