From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow local network - how to debug?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:23:54
1 On Friday 22 Feb 2013 14:36:22 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 02/22/2013 02:55:07 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Friday 22 Feb 2013 08:04:38 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4
5 > > > When copying data from one machine to the other one I see varying
6 > > > speeds from only 0.5 Mbits/s up to
7 > > > more than 20 Mbits/s. I have no idea why it is so slow some times.
8 > > > There are no other wireless devices nearby.
9 > >
10 > > Where do you see these transfer speeds? On the wired machine, or on
11 > > the
12 > > wireless machine?
13 > >
14 > > What do you use to check the transfer speed?
15 >
16 > One tool is ttcp which is very similar to netcat and this concerns me
17 > most.
18 > The other tool is a remote webserver for measure internet speed
19
20 I suggest that you troubleshoot speeds across your LAN first, before you look
21 at connections across the Internet which tend to be less consistent.
24 > > Do the speeds go up when you used a Cat5e cable at full duplex?
25 >
26 > The PC which is wired doesn't have those problems since I can transmit
27 > data from
28 > my remote office machine at the highest possble rate which is specified
29 > by my
30 > internet provider.
31
32 What I'm saying is: When you connect BOTH machines to your router with cat5e
33 cables does the performance improve?
34
35 I didn't know that you were using ttcp and was trying to eliminate other
36 bottlenecks, e.g. storage caching, or drive controller problems if you were
37 transferring a file.
40 > > Have you scanned for access points to be absolutely sure that there
41 > > are no
42 > > other wireless devices, or APs?
43 > >
44 > > Do you use encryption?
45 >
46 > Yes, but since I do get optimal performance "some time" I don't think
47 > this matters.
48
49 Right, inconsistent performance could be due to interference, rather than
50 someone free-riding your open WiFi network.
53 > > What frequency and channel are you on and have you tried to change
54 > > channel/frequency? (some domestic devices like cordless phones,
55 > > wireless
56 > > earphones, bluetooth, microwaves, perimeter sensors, etc. can cause
57 > > co-channel
58 > > and adjacent channel interference and/or force sharing of the
59 > > bandwidth).
60
61 This may eliminate interference problems, but only if concentrated on a
62 particular frequency. Broadband transmissions will still interfere.
63
64 You could try moving your laptop around the premises to see if you can spot
65 some device/appliance that may be causing this.
66
67 > > Are both machines and the router's LAN on the same MTU?
68 >
69 > Sorry, what's "MTU" ?
70
71 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit
72
73 I was trying to see if there is a mismatch which may cause excessive
74 fragmentation.
77 Regards,
78 Mick