From: Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags for tif/tiff
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:35:21
1 Hi!
2 ======= On Wednesday 14 March 2007, you wrote: =======
3 ...
4 > When you say "can not open" is there some kind of error message
5 > associated with it?
6 >
7 > I've not had any issues with TIFF files (though admittedly I rarely need
8 > to open any), but I would guess if it's only "some" files then it may be
9 > that the program that generated them uses a non-standard/incompatible
10 > format. It's hard to say without an actual error message. I've found
11 > ImageMagick's identify(1) command to be very helpful with determining if
12 > a file is indeed the format the creator claims it to be.
13 >
14 > --
15 > Albert W. Hopkins
16 >
17
18
19 All programs says about bad format. You are right, only some rare TIFF files
20 can not be opened. I use IrfanView (as it is at least free) under wine to see
21 such files.
22
23 'identify' for last problem file output is (and GIMP says approximately the same):
24
25 identify rodnik.tif
26 identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 513 (0x201) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
27 identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 514 (0x202) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
28 identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37679 (0x932f) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
29 identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37680 (0x9330) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
30 identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37681 (0x9331) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
31 identify: Invalid YCbCr subsampling. `rodnik.tif'.
32 identify: rodnik.tif: cannot handle zero strip size. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
33
34 IrfanView shows the file without problems.
35
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list