From: Lin Xiao <xiaoliniess@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody running gnome3 in a virtualbox gentoo guest?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 02:25:52
1 On 08/14/2014 09:32 AM, walt wrote:
2 > Because I'm paranoid, I update my virtualbox ~amd64-gentoo-guest machine every
3 > day *before* I update my (real hardware) "production" machine. (The definition
4 > of "production" is left as an exercise for the reader.)
5 >
6 > Not long ago I noticed that the vbox guest machine failed to start a gnome
7 > session because "3D hardware support" is not available on the guest machine.
8 >
9 > To make a very long story short, I downgraded the xorg-server on the gentoo
10 > guest from 1.16.0 to 1.15.1, and now gnome3 is happy again.
11 >
12 > Techie detail for nerds only: /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated
13 > returns an error message with xorg-server-1.16.0, but works normally with
14 > xorg-server-1.15.1.
15 >
16 > Has anyone else seen the same behavior?
17 >
18 > Thx
21 I saw similar problem running debian in virtualbox. Virtualbox guest
22 addition is needed for 3D support, but the additions won't compile with
23 the latest xorg-server.