From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Laptop Looks to be Trashed
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 21:19:16
1 On 03/07/12 21:35, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 03.07.2012 20:00, schrieb David Kuhl:
3 >> I'm so stuck with this Gentoo laptop. It started with a standard
4 >> update which was the first in three months. Then when the X didn't
5 >> run due to xorg-server getting upgraded, the 3.3.8 gen kernel was
6 >> suppose to be built with KSM. That failed due to mkfs_ext2.h. The a
7 >> beta of genkernel was used and which built the kernel and initramfs,
8 >> but the rest of the machine looks like it's gone. All the LVM2
9 >> partitions are broke: /home /var /opt /usr. What's the best way to
10 >> get this back without loosing the system? Thanks
13 > Step one: Do a full disk backup. Boot to a live-CD, then back everything
14 > up with dd or -- if available -- ddrescue.
15 >
16 > Step two: ...
17
18 ... install Ubuntu (or one of its spin-offs.) Having a laptop with
19 Gentoo that wasn't updated for months looks to me like the wrong usage
20 case for Gentoo. If you want periods of several months of base package
21 stability, you do not use a rolling-release distro. With Gentoo you
22 need to update often and *pay attention* to the changes.