From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system audit
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:13:42
1 On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:48:08 -0800, J.A.H. wrote:
2
3 > Hi --- Is there a way to print all of the installed programs by
4 > category. I would like to know what development libraries and tools are
5 > installed and also what is installed that I never use.
6
7 qpkg -I will list them, as will ls /var/db/pkg.
8
9 > Basically I want to remove everything not in use so that another upgrade
10 > will take less time. Once I remove a program, library, or something
11 > else, how will I know that there will be no affected dependencies.
12
13 "equery depends package" shows dependencies.
14
15 The safest approach is to remove from /var/lib/portage/world any programs
16 you do not want. Then run
17
18 emerge -uadVN world
19 emerge -p depclean
20 # check output of above
21 emerge depclean
22 revdep-rebuild -p
23 revdep-rebuild
24
25 > Why not remove gentoo-user and instead add more lists like
26 > gentoo-install, or whatever else. The gentoo-user list is misleading
27 > since every user using gentoo is a user. It should be removed instead.
28
29 Because many topics are too general for that.You question could apply to
30 servers, desktop, amd64, ppc et al. A catch all group is necessary.
31 Splitting a list generally results in more posts, since the same threads
32 end up on more than one list.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 I distinctly remember forgetting that.