From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new printer : any thoughts ?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:38:44
1 On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:01:29 -0500
2 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
5 > & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
6 > I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
7 >
8 > The local store has an HP Deskjet 2510 on sale this week.
9 >
10 > Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions ?
11
12 I got a cheap (bw) HP LaserJet p1005 half a decade ago. It works well
13 with the drivers from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ , which lets me avoid
14 using the bloated hplip mess (I tried that when I got the printer, it
15 didn't work with network printing and required a running X session).
16
17 It looks like the printer you mentioned only works with hplip. If hplip
18 is acceptable to you, that is great, otherwise I would suggest looking
19 for a different model that is either natively supported by cups or
20 supported by the foo2X drivers or other similarly non-intrusive drivers.
23 eroen