From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:12:58
1 On Samstag 05 Dezember 2009, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On 5/12/2009, "Philip Webb" <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > >Anyway, don't do testing on the machine you use for everyday computing.
4 > >If you want to get into testing, use a dedicated machine for it.
5 >
6 > I've been using a separate partition on an existing machine to run a
7 > ~amd64 system for evaluation, and yesterday I got my comeuppance. I
8 > wanted to go back to an earlier backup of the test system*, so I took a
9 > backup of my home directory with its e-mail history, wiped the partition
10 > and restored the old backup followed by the home directory. Wrong. I'd
11 > mixed the home directories of the two systems and so I lost the last
12 > five weeks' worth of e-mails.
13 >
14 > And no, I hadn't been drinking or getting over-tired. Just goes to show
15 > - you can't be too careful.
16 >
17 > * The current test system had a series of KDE-4 problems, which I thought
18 > must have been caused by the patch bug, but simply remerging everything
19 > installed since then hadn't fixed them.
22 well, I had (1!) problem after updating to KDE 4.3.4. Konsole's fonts looked
23 ugly and the cursor was misplaced to the right by one 'space'.
24
25 Rebuilding everything emerged after patch-2.6 (which included kde, qt and a
26 lot of other stuff), solved that problem.