From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:06:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2022 23:37, Dale wrote:
3 >> Usually, I try to update about once a year.  I don't change hardware
4 >> much.
5 >
6 > The main reason I suggested LTS is because that, *when* you decide to
7 > do a @world update, you will get the latest LTS of the same main
8 > version you're already using. For example you'll go from 5.15.20 to
9 > 5.15.78. And that means you won't have to bother with an array of
10 > endless "make oldconfig" questions. There'll be like one or two at
11 > most, which is trivial to deal with.
12 >
13 > I've been using LTS kernels for years now, and I never looked back.
14 > "make oldconfig" usually doesn't say anything, making it a
15 > ridiculously fast and no-brainer update, and yet I get the latest
16 > bugfixes and security fixes.
17 >
18 > It just works :-)
24 Thing is, I may go a year, sometimes more, without updating the kernel.
25 If I rebooted often, I could see using a LTS kernel.  If a kernel can
26 run for months with no problems, it's stable enough for me.  Plus my
27 hardware works.
28
29 I have even built a kernel but never actually booted it.  By the time I
30 get around to rebooting, I've had to build another kernel.  I generally
31 always work from a known stable config tho.  The only reason I wouldn't
32 is if I build a new system and have to start from scratch.  I've also
33 had times when I had to update because my video drivers wouldn't build
34 with a older kernel version that I'm running.  That doesn't happen to
35 often but I recall running into that at least once.
36
37 Either way, biggest question was if there was some known breakage
38 between my old version and a newer version.  Maybe the one I tried just
39 had some weird problem that only affected me or I just missed something
40 during the oldconfig.  I wish I could recall the error.  Who knows on
41 that.
42
43 Thanks.
44