From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:43:40
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:40:02 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > Myself, I don't consider that either a stage 1 or stage 3 leaves me with
4 > more than a minimally functional system after the initial install, but a
5 > stage 3 leaves me with a *higher functioning* minimal install than a
6 > stage 1 does.
7
8 A stage 3 install doesn't give you any more than a stage 1. all it means
9 is you skip some laborious and time-consuming steps in the handbook, you
10 end up in the same place.
11
12 > But at least after a stage 3, I don't have to be *uncomfortable* while
13 > I'm waiting to get my system up to my personal spec-- I can still *use*
14 > Mozilla, even if it's compiled with Mail, and Composer, and IRC, while I
15 > wait for it to recompile with the -moz*** USE flags.
16
17 You can't, stage 3 doesn't even include X. However, you can use the GRP
18 packages with a stage 3 installation, because the flags are all at
19 default, so you can merge your preferred DE, mail and browser as binary
20 packages in a few minutes.
21
22 If you like ~arch, you don't even need an emerge --emptytree after the
23 system is running, as emerge -uDN world after changing KEYWORDS and
24 USE will update just about everything anyway.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Any program which runs right is obsolete.