From: Richard Bradfield <bradfier@×××××.me>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 20:18:59
1 On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 06:35:16PM +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
2 >On 07/12/17 09:52, Richard Bradfield wrote:
3 >> I did also investigate USB3 external enclosures, they're pretty
4 >> fast these days.
5 >
6 >AARRGGHHHHH !!!
7 >
8 >If you're using mdadm, DO NOT TOUCH USB WITH A BARGE POLE !!!
9 >
10 >I don't know the details, but I gather the problems are very similar to
11 >the timeout problem, but much worse.
12 >
13 >I know the wiki says you can "get away" with USB, but only for a broken
14 >drive, and only when recovering *from* it.
15 >
16 >Cheers,
17 >Wol
20 I'm using ZFS on Linux, does that make you any less terrified? :)
21
22 I never ended up pursuing the USB enclosure, because disks got bigger
23 faster than I needed more storage, but I'd be interested in hearing if
24 there are real issues with trying to mount drive arrays over XHCI, given
25 the failure of eSATA to achieve wide adoption it looked like a good
26 route for future expansion.
29 Richard