From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: lvm without initrd
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:19:35
1 · Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > I'd like to know which parts of my system need to stay on "traditional"
6 > partitions and which directories can be moved to an lvm if I don't want to
7 > use initrd and still be able to boot.
8
9 If you don't want to use an initrd, / needs to stay "traditional".
10 And as Grub cannot use LVM either, /boot also needs to stay traditional.
11
12 >From the top level directories, thus the following need to stay
13 traditional/cannot be moved to LVM:
14
15 /
16 /boot
17 /bin
18 /lib
19 /sbin
20 /dev
21 /proc
24 > I think it's safe to move /home but what do I do with /var, /usr, /tmp
25 > and /opt?
26
27 They can all be on LVM.
28
29 Alexander Skwar
30 --
31 "You do not beg the sun for mercy."
32
33 -- Maud'dib's Travail from The Stilgar Commentary
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list