From: Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux too damn slow if memory > 3GB
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:23:12
1 On 29/07/07, Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello everyone!!!
3 >
4 > May be somebody can shed some light here... I'm building a server here with
5 > 4GB of RAM memory. The fact is, if I boot with mem=3072M everything goes as
6 > fast as it should but I'm not using 1GB of memory. If I don't put the mem
7 > option, Linux will see 4GB of memory available but it will be damn slow
8 > (really).
9
10 It sounds like a problem with a buggy BIOS not setting up your MTRR
11 properly. This means linux ends up using ultra-slow memory for
12 important stuff. The problem has been discussed quite a bit on LKML,
13 see here, for example:
14
15 http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=118072237228294
16
17 > Any lights would be very appreciated.
18
19 Try upgrading to the latest BIOS version available for your
20 motherboard. If that doesn't fix it you will have to tell linux not to
21 use the affected memory. You can find out where that is by checking
22 your dmesg and /proc/mtrr, as described in the message referenced
23 above. Post the information here if you aren't sure.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Duane.
29 "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list